There is a Field: Russia & Ukraine

Saturday, February 26, 2022

 




Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
There is a field. I’ll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass,
The world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase, “each other,”
Doesn’t make any sense. 

~Rumi


There is this very beautiful human quality of feeling the pain of another's suffering innately. My heart breaks witnessing the invasion of Ukraine, alongside many other hearts. In my prayers and practice, I continually see a Russian soldier, unable to do what he was told to accomplish. He puts down his arms. I envision this again and again. It has entered my practice very organically as I pray, rest in stillness, do walking meditation, sing and chant. 

While looking for a picture of the Ukrainian flag online, I saw the above creative and beautiful impression. Poet Rumi's words came to mind ~ Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there....

Mind is so quick to divide ~ Ukraine/Russia, Right/Wrong. What about, rather than dividing, allowing one word to suffice ~ suffering. Then...a question, how can I help? Rumi provides a clue ~ When the soul lies down in this grass, the world is too full to talk about. Ideas, language, even the phrase, "each other," doesn't make any sense. 

In this crucial time, I choose to step onto the golden grass, let go of ideas, language, even the phrase, "each other." I am the Russian soldier laying down his arms, again and again and again. Seeds of violence are very much alive within our hearts. If we don't think so, we are mistaken. Also, seeds of peace are very much alive within our hearts. If we don't believe so, we're misguided. 

I will do my best, in the days and weeks, months ahead to look on the situation in Ukraine from the field, beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing. I listen, I listen to one clear, arresting word ~ suffering. I practice to lay down the arms within myself: the violence, frustration, horror. Dear Thich Nhat Hah says what I'm wishing to express much more eloquently: 
We often think of peace as the absence of war, that if powerful countries would reduce their weapon arsenals, we could have peace. But if we look deeply into the weapons, we see our own minds--our own prejudices, fears, and ignorance. Even if we transport all the bombs to the moon, the roots of war and the roots of bombs are still there, in our hearts and minds, and sooner or later we will make new bombs. To work for peace is to uproot war from ourselves and from the hearts of men and women. To prepare for war, to give millions of men and women the opportunity to practice killing day and night in their hearts, is to plant millions of seeds of violence, anger, frustration and fear that will be passed on for generations to come.

I lay down my arms. Will you join me? Here is a practice opportunity, to come back home to our good and noble hearts and the good hearts of the Ukrainian and Russian people. 

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment