Getting Tattooed with Grandma!

Friday, November 21, 2014
Me and Grandma celebrating her 90 beautiful years
I spent last weekend celebrating my grandma's 90th birthday. For two nights we spent time as a family in the celebratory place of her choice--karaoke bars, and the girl shut the place down! I didn't get to bed until 1:30am both nights; me, who usually goes to bed with the sun, was up singing and dancing and having a fine time. I figured, if that is the stuff that gets one to the sweet age of 90, I'm in! As a result, I've been riding a high all week inspired by an amazing woman. 

At Grandma's party so many admirers dedicated heart-felt songs and just loved her up, giving thanks for her continued presence in their lives. She, of course, was gracious and lovely in receiving it all. At one point I asked her what her secret is for longevity in relationships. Without missing a beat she answered:

1) A love that is always there, no matter what! (said with sweet spice that is a trademark of Grandma:)
2) communication
3) and lastly--respect (I'll never forget the fierce way she said the last ingredient)

Wise words coming from a woman whose life has reflected the above 3 qualities, not just with her husband of 65 years (sweetest couple I ever had the pleasure of knowing), but with every person she interacts with--North Stars shining bright: love, communication and respect. 

OK, so as not to get too sappy, on an end note (pun intended) a final story in honor of this awesome woman. I've noticed when folks live happily into their later years, there's often a certain amount of spunk that's adopted, and Grandma is no exception. There was a tattoo parlor close to a restaurant we dined at, and I jokingly teased that we should get a tattoo together. She innocently asked, "What would we have tattooed?" and I suggested, "I'm thinking, a nautical star." With a mischievous grin she pointed to her chin, "When I'm 100, I'll get it right here!" It's a date.

Thank you, Grandma J, for your fine example, beautiful voice and abiding care. You are loved!


2 comments/leave a comment:

  1. I love this! I wanna come to the next party! (((((((Grandma J)))))))) ((((((Karla))))))) Thank you for sharing this inspiring story!

  1. You're invited--start preparing your Karaoke line up!

Post a Comment