Right View: Dividing Light From Dark

Friday, August 4, 2017
Happy Friday, everyone! Last week there was an Inner Constellation post on the Four Noble Truths. The last Noble Truth is that there is a path to happiness. I don’t know about you, but I’m high steppin’ myself over there! So where is this path to happiness? In answer, the Buddha proposed what's called the Noble Eightfold Path, outlining very concretely the steps to a happy life. I've been spending my one arm days pondering the first step--Right View. 

Often when people see the word, "right," they can get a little hung up, I know I did. Perhaps the word skillful versus non-skillful may be helpful. Right or Skillful View is the ability to differentiate between what is healthy and what is not healthy. One of the ways I like to practice nurturing Right View for myself is by asking two questions: 

  • Does this alleviate suffering? 
  • Does this encourage happiness?
“…God said, “Let there be light.” I like to imagine that light replied, saying, “God, I have to wait for my twin brother, darkness, to be with me. I can’t be there without the darkness.” God asked, “Why do you need to wait? Darkness is there.” Light answered, “In that case, then I am also already there.”


Every moment we have choice, light is there, darkness is also there. Happiness is there, and so too is suffering. Can we discern the most wholesome choices, moment to moment? On the road to happiness, the first step is identifying what is beneficial to our well-being and to the health of others. If this cannot be defined, then all other striving for happiness will fall short. Separation of light from dark is necessity. Then, once our sights are clear, we can keep steppin’ towards further creation. And that brings us to the second of the Noble Eightfold Path for a happy life…Right Speech. See you for that contemplation next week.





0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment