Right Speech: Open Sky

Thursday, August 24, 2017
This week continues the pondering of the Noble Eightfold Path or the path to happiness. Right View is the first of the eight steps to a happy life. It's the foundation for walking into the big wide world. Then, as we decidedly identify and step onto the road of well-being, we can begin practicing the second of the Eightfold Path--Loving Speech (aka Right Speech).

When I think of Loving Speech, I think of the metaphor of a boundless, open sky, recognizing the inherent goodness and limitless nature of every being. When we practice Loving Speech we remember this innate quality and speak to it, again and again. As I was pondering Loving Speech, I pulled a tea bag fortune that seemed to sum up the idea perfectly....


Awww, heck yah! The two questions come to mind again: Are my words alleviating suffering? Are my words creating happiness? Speak to a person's goodness and strengths, call them into remembrance again and again.

Another component often paired with the second step to happiness, Loving Speech, is deep listening. When we stop and truly listen to another we know better what to say, and what not to say. The same two questions can be asked: Do I listen purely to alleviate suffering? Do I listen for ways to water happiness?

The Noble Eightfold Path is a practice. May we enjoy the experiment of speaking and listening in loving ways. Next week on the path to happiness, number three--Right Livelihood.

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment