One-Armed Writer & An Experiment With Voice Recognition!

Monday, July 17, 2017
Poor pinky...so dramatic!
So, I'm here in the garden taking a bit of forced R and R. Last week I took a  tumble on my mountain bike, causing a severe break to poor pinky. Surgery followed resulting in pins, and now my writing hand is sufficiently bound and casted. Six days taking it easy, elevating my hand, icing and taking ibuprofen has me ready to figure out the next four weeks of one armed life!  

Thus proceeds an experiment in voice recognition! I've verbally prepared an email to myself, which I then copied and pasted into this blog article. It's a great practice in mindful speech. Please excuse the punctuation :)

With all this pondering time I've been thinking about the Four Noble Truths discovered by the Buddha:

1) There is suffering.
2) There is a path leading to suffering.
3) There  is happiness.
4) There is a path leading to happiness.

A natural tendency was to go over the course of events leading up to the accident and identify bad choices made and the domino effect these now have on my livelihood, my clients and my husband (who is my left-hand man) for the next four weeks. Indeed, there is ill-being and there was a path (quite literally) leading to ill being. 

Ah, but there is also wellbeing...writing is one of my paths to happiness, as is physical exercise and the work that I do. All require my dominant hand! The next four weeks is an experiment in the beauties and adaptations of a one handed world. 

How are we to practice the Four Noble Truths--to recognize suffering and the path of suffering and become more skillful at choosing a path of happiness and wellbeing?  Well, darling, that there is the stuff of life and the school of hard knocks!

The answer to such an exquisite question brings us to the Noble Eightfold path--see you in a couple days to explore these gems....

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment