Blue Pill, Red Pill?

Tuesday, August 16, 2016
I recently finished the novel, "Night," by Elie Wiesel. Anyone who has read this slim holocaust memoir knows it was not easy. The reading was precipitated by a personal commemoration of the author, for Elie recently died at the ripe age of 87 years. Also, my momma, who knows my heart well, gave me the book. It had sat on my book shelf for years until I was most recently ready to read it.

Now, before you go thinking this is a kill-joy blog article, no-sir-eeeee. Remember IC Truth #3: everything no matter how challenging has the ability to be transformed. Elie Wiesel is a shining North Star example of this certainty. The day I finished the book, I dedicated my morning to sitting with what I had learned. I did this in my garden of course, and as I sat by my pond, in addition to holding Elie Wiesel's story close, I noticed the hummingbirds came around, as did the nuthatches, chickadees and all other kinds of joyful critters. I smiled, and pondered these competing realities--the destruction of a race of people juxtaposed with all the beauty of this natural world. Both exist--one heart-breaking, the other heart-sustaining--such interplay is constantly present. How to reconcile these realities?

I recalled this month's Inner Constellation theme--Co-creation--and grabbed my notebook as a poem took root...


Ground to Soften
©August 4, 2016 Karla Johnston InnerConstellation.com

The novel, “Night,” by Elie Weisel—
I’m reminded my every thought of impatience, anger, intolerance,
waters the larger seed of cruelty growing in the world today.
Annihilation of Jews (and anyone not conforming to radical Islam) is happening this moment.
Tears escape the corner of my eyes, seeking ground to soften.

The other side of human possibility: tenderness, joy, understanding
water seeds of freedom,
which, in the choice to cultivate, loosen cruelty’s strangle hold.
Do I wish to be grounded in the killing field
or tend the garden of humanity with compassion and mercy?

Germination starts within,
it grows within. 



How do I reconcile competing realities? My answer--germination starts within, it grows within. More questions follow--Am I more able to Co-create and practice goodness and generosity because I live healthy, happy, strong and free? Do I have a responsibility to do so, due to my good measure? 

As this month of August stretches toward the end, I continue to answer my heart questions. Relying on Lake Tahoe Mindfulness Community and my support network of family and friends, I know answers will come and Co-creation will be the result: germination starts within, it grows within. 

Bless you, wise Elie Wiesel, for your continuation of insight, compassion and hope. 

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment