Find Your Inner Mystic

Friday, July 11, 2014
Last evening, I put the finishing touches on a chapbook of poetry I'm submitting for review. It's been quite a project, and with a sigh of relief I felt a weight lifting from my shoulders, knowing I would meet the deadline, and more importantly, I was meeting my personal goal of taking the jump and submitting my work. The chapbook I composed is entitled, Disciples of the Moon, and it begins with my favorite quote from Joseph Campbell:
"The schizophrenic is drowning in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight."
Disciples of the Moon outlines the evolution of personal mysticism, beginning with the seeds of "mental illness" that defined members of my family and ending with contemplative expressions beyond the intellect. As I placed the chapbook in the envelope for send off, the moon shone across the table where I worked, bright and full, illuminating my kitchen. I had enjoyed a view of it out my window all evening, it had been a close companion. I grabbed a handful of dried Lavender and Rosepetals and stepped outside to say goodnight. Heart was full of gratitude at the constancy of the moon in my life, always prompting me to remember the Eternal and True, the bigger picture of life beyond stigmas, judgments and drama. I thought of the journey it had taken outside my window while I worked on my poetry collection. Momma Moon had risen bright over a swath of stormy gray haze, then peeped through billowing clouds from the East that passed dramatically by. All the while, she hung, bright and full, illuminating the entire sky, even when hidden temporarily from view. I recalled a beautiful metaphor--inner guidance is like the moon, always there for us to recognize, sometimes a sliver, sometimes ripe—constant and enduring. The moon has been my symbol for one's "inner mystic."

How do we find our inner mystics? For me, the journey has been threefold:

  1. Listen to yourself. There are so many theories, experts, methods, techniques, but no one knows you better than you. In order to listen, one must be still and attentive. Be quiet, listen to your needs, take care of your crying babies, pick them up and listen like a good momma.
  2. Listen to others. When we are solid and cared for, we are better able to be solid for and care for others. When we practice listening deeply and speaking lovingly to ourselves, we are better able to listen deeply and speak lovingly to others.
  3. Live what is wholesome and true - the more we increase the conditions for goodness, water the wholesome seeds, the more goodness will grow in us and in others. Voila, the inner mystic is born! Like the moon, beautifully shining.

I am humble disciple, the work is never done. Find your inner mystic and the world is a better place--shining, happy people. All love and care, have the best weekend. 

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment