Just the Right Amount of Wrong!

Wednesday, June 5, 2013
a gentle rain that falls unconditionally, friendliness, recognizing another’s beauty, connecting and belonging to one another, wishing another well


The above Pali word is used to describe the feeling of care one actively engenders toward another. It is said to be the most natural state of who we truly are when we’re not caught in re-activity. 

I first came across the practice of Metta when I was struggling with a "mentally ill" family member (in quotes because I don't accept this label). I had spent my life battling the idea that there was something drastically wrong with this loved one and had quite frankly exhausted myself trying to fix the situation. Finally after years of unfruitful effort, I converted to a novel idea--responding with what was most needed--unconditional love and care to the best of my ability. 

Since taking the tiniest baby steps in practicing Metta, I've begun entertaining this question: 

What if nothing is ever wrong? Try this on: What if absolutely nothing is ever wrong, but rather is an opportunity for you to respond? 

Does this question take the fight right out of you? It sure does me. If there's nothing wrong, then there's nothing to fix, I'm freed up. If I were free, how would I respond? Without fear, without judgment, I would respond with love and care, naturally. 

As I write this blog post, my sweet hubby finishes watching a French Open Match, where his adored Roger Federer just lost in 3 sets, to Mr. Jo Willy Tsonga. What if absolutely nothing is ever wrong, but rather is an opportunity to respond? Lets just turn off all the drama, and go to bed. Oh, but not before a final commercial that makes me smile in pure awe. The advertisement is for Las Vegas and across the screen in seductive letters scrolls:

"Just the right amount of wrong!"

Ha! Yes, just enough of a push to set us into motion. When life presents me with a road block, a cloud threatening to cover up my North Star, how will I respond? With a bolt of lightening, a thunderclap, or the gentle rain of Metta

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment