"One day, Lucy, BANG, ZOOM! Straight to the moon!"

Saturday, June 30, 2012
I believe most of us can relate to people who rub us the wrong way, perhaps because they're being difficult or perhaps because we're being difficult! Either way such a rub creates friction. From an energy standpoint (IC Truth #1 Everything is energy), friction or interference stops the flow. A friend of mine has an analogy I like, she says it's like we're all five pointed stars and our star points just don't fit together with some people, they just clank and get stuck. Well said. So what to do when this happens? I've found the practice of Metta or "Loving Kindness" most beneficial. I believe it's Buddhist in tradition, and it's basically well-wishing for yourself and the other. There are a few statements of good wishing that go something like this (I've made some adaptions to fit individual intentions):

May you be happy.
May you be healthy and strong,
safe and protected, free from inner and outer harm.
May you live in your world with ease and grace.

First, when friction arises and I feel the charge, I begin well-wishing the above statements for myself, then I extend it to the other. I use Metta also as a daily practice for myself, my cherished ones and lastly (once I'm feeling more kind-hearted) to those whom I find difficult. To me, Metta draws out the good in myself and others, literally recognizing, acknowledging and increasing it. Try it peeps, it sounds simple but it's most effective. I believe Metta addresses IC Truth #2, Energy never dies it just changes form. Metta notices friction and transforms it with well-wishing. If you find this practice intriguing, I would highly recommend Sharon Salzberg's book, Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness.  Well, that's all for today. Next time you start to feel the BANG, ZOOM!...don't knock anyone to the moon, instead try the practice of Lovingkindness.

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment