Goes Around, Comes Around

Monday, August 15, 2011
As I get ready for a trip to San Francisco with my family, I find myself thinking of a poem I wrote and thought to share it. The poem reminds me of Charting our Course to our North Stars, the idea of Karma and the importance of informed action and intention. Adventure awaits and I look forward to connecting when I get home. May this offering prime the pump....

Goes Around, Comes Around
©Karla Johnston, InnerConstellation.com

Going on a journey.
Suitcases are packed.
Protecting everything familiar,
I lock my door
and walk to the station.

Window beckons, “open for business.”
Idling bus sputters in irritation,
awaiting my decision.
Money changes hands.
Ticket is mine.

“Step on up,
hold tight!”
Baggage taken,
tossed below,
sinks into dark recesses.

Outside the rain streaked window,
I see a man
dirty and poor.
He’s out of sorts,
not playing by the rules.

Do I step from the bus,
where might that road lead?
No one’s holding me here.
Yet I stay,
rooted to my seat.

Miles stretch between
as highway hums a song.
Stretching out best I can,
I’m lulled by wheels of complacency,
and fall into deep sleep….

Until, passing through some god-forsaken town,
the rambling bus blows a tire.
No longer dry,
I stand roadside,
looking worn and tired.

“Don’t worry,”
a gentleman looks on,
“Help will arrive.”
Comfort spouted in vain,
sounds familiar.

Groaning to a halt,
the bus indeed ambles in.
I stir, lifted from the roadside dream.
Wiping my eyes,
I sit up and ask, “Have I been saved?”

“Honey, what do I look like,
your angel in disguise?”
the woman at the wheel inquires.
Her black hands rest lax beneath her
as she smiles, “Is this your stop?”

Stretching,
I rise,
grab my backpack
and head down the aisle.
I understand:
where I go,
my destinations,
all reap grace
or payback,
my own creations.

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment