Mindful Consumption

Friday, May 2, 2014
We are what we consume. This truth seems so obvious when the categories of consumption are food and drink. Obviously eating and drinking in a healthy way is good for us. However, what if we extend this truth to our minds--we are what we consume. What thoughts and stories are replaying in your experience? If they can be categorized as "junk food," it's time to mindfully consume what is nourishing, light and beautiful. What do I mean? When I focus my attention on these things, they bring me joy:

the robin-egg blue sky, a child's smile, bird song, sending, "I love you" texts, writing inspiring works, listening to Celtic music, singing on a big drum, throwing my cat over my shoulder like a continental soldier...

You get my point. All of these, by the way, are a conditions of the present versus a story of the past. I love to think about everything my body, mind and spirit take in over the course of 24 hours. Is it medicine or poison? In today's TV viewing and media driven world, mindful consumption can present a challenge, but there are so many venues for the nourishing, light and beautiful. My goal in any 24 hours is to consume (physically, emotionally and mentally) things that are wholesome. Doing so has been instrumental in my own healing journey through, what some might have labeled as, PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). It hit me one fine day that I needed to rewrite my story and in so doing, mindfully recreate my environment. I took it upon myself to be diligent and thus my vision of Inner Constellation began. Mindful consumption is achieved through your beautiful, wise body:

1) Body is the barometer - catch yourself when your thoughts have slipped into painful territory. How do you catch yourself? Your body will send you signals: racing thoughts, physical pain, constriction, etc.

2) Body holds the key - once you become aware that you have slipped into painful territory, transformation begins to happen, in that very instant. What is the transformer? Conscious breath. Breathe in with awareness, breathe out with awareness. Breath is nourishment, breath is life. To me, breath is Holy Spirit, or as my Native roots express, Hushtahli. If your breath is holy medicine, how does your ability to heal change? Breathe a few moments with awareness, and if you can, self compassion for your situation. Transformation has begun.

3) Body knows the answer - Breathing consciously shifts awareness. If you want to change a patterned response in the nervous system, you first change your breathing. In so doing, your thinking brain comes back online, your body comes out of stress response and you become more skillful. Ask yourself--what would help me move into healthier territory right now? Maybe it's going for a walk, star-gazing, or tapping on your points. Whatever it is, do it. Move into healthier terrain. No excuses, do it.

As you can see, the above takes no outside professional or guru, no technique, no equipment--simply mindful you. We are exquisitely designed to balance and regulate. In my personal experience, in moments of practicing mindfulness, I might need the big guns. On these occasions, I will bring out my laser fingers and begin tapping on my meridian points, but that's best reserved for another article. Will you take the Mindful Consumption Challenge? If so, please contact me, so I can be of support on your healing journey.


0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment