Bendin' Ur Spoon!

Thursday, August 29, 2013
I’m not usually into the cute pictures of critters doing silly things, but this one reminded me of myself--trying to fend off the dome of smoke billowing over my California mountains! I live about 60 miles from the Yosemite Rim Fire as the crow flies, and since it began twelve days ago, my town has been under smoke so thick that many days we haven’t seen the sun. Last night I had a rough night of sleep, coughing through most of the night, and I woke this morning with a tight, constricted chest that I promptly relieved with my two favorite tools: Meridian Tapping and Heartmath technologies. As I was doing my self-care, to my utter delight, the sun peeped out and, then, shone brilliantly! I jumped up and went outside to see the bluest skies since the fire began. I grabbed my running shoes and headed out the door.

As I was moving around in the mostly clear Tahoe blue, I began pondering the metaphors I use with my clients:

  • North Star – one’s un-moving, highest motto for life or one’s personal ideal
  • Clouds – whatever obstructs seeing or orienting to one’s North Star

When clouds (or smoke) set in and obstruct our North Stars, what can we do to resource our highest ideals (compassion, generosity, gratitude, etc.), in spite of the fact that we’re not feeling it? One of my favorite daily practices when the clouds (or smoke) set in is to resource a past feeling. In other words use the power of your mind to “Bend Ur Spoon.”

You know, it’s a toss-up whether our brains are receivers of consciousness or transmitters of consciousness. Quantum Physicists have no definitive answer one way or the other. Studies actually show that one’s ability to bend reality is probable. So, resourcing one’s North Star when the clouds (or smoke) roll in means, imagining a time when you've experienced your ideal state. By doing so, you part the clouds and your North Star becomes visible.

In my above example of struggling with the affects of the Yosemite Rim Fire, when skies cleared, I got out there and resourced, resourced, resourced: I sucked in deep the clean air, I marveled at the robin-egg-blue sky, I greeted the Stellar’s Jays and Woodpeckers (wildlife was out resourcing too), I looked far in the distance and gave thanks that I could see the sturdy, green pine trees. I was running around like Snow White! Side note: nature is my favorite place to "resource" for it innately and constantly rejuvenates--no matter the destruction, Momma comes back to balance, always. 

With the fire 30% contained and an anticipatory containment date of September 10, I can expect more smoke will come rolling in; however, I am resourced--I have “Bent My Spoon,” and I've established a resource state to access in the future. I am soooooooo appreciative of clean, fresh air.

So is Yogini. When I arrived back home and opened up the sliding glass door, she was in 7th Heaven and ran through the house whirling and kicking up her chubby heels! Try Bendin' Ur Spoon--it’s the best!!

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment