Aurora Movie Theater Remembrance and Reopening

Friday, January 18, 2013
Last night, folks streamed into Denver's Century Aurora movie theater for the first time since a gunman fired on a sold-out show of The Dark Knight Rises almost six months ago to the day. A remembrance ceremony was held for survivors, first responders and friends and family members of the victims. I found myself touched by the resiliency of one man in attendance, Marcus Weaver, who was not only shot but also lost his friend. He spoke honestly of the fear he overcame in going to the event. Even his therapist was unsure if he could handle revisiting the scene, but something inside Marcus told him he needed to face his fear and in doing so, he transformed it:


  • "I walked up to door very apprehensive, nervous and anxious. This guy wanted to take a picture with me, so I said ok. It turns out his brother had passed in the theater and he wanted to come and represent much like me. His brother is Matt McQuinn, he protected his family from gunfire. Amazing courage. It gave me courage to go inside."

  • It was so difficult. Tons of people, so Megan Sharp (his girlfriend) and I ducked in a theater and prayed. Then things seemed less, as the Lord became more.

Once inside the theater where the massacre took place he was unexpectedly greeted by 14 year old Kaylen Bailey. When I saw the picture of the two of them they both seemed to glow! Marcus had met Kaylen five years earlier, serving food to the homeless. Her heartbreaking 911 calls from inside the theater were played during the shooter's evidence hearing last week. Marcus embraced Kaylen, "She was my answer, heaven sent." 

Aren't people good? Yes, most definitely, yes. One horribly disturbed individual impacted the lives of those in the Aurora theater last July, but many hundreds of good, good people have provided comfort, love and support:

  • Last night the shooter would have probably been upset to see all the things he tried to tear down have been built back up again. The carpet is different, the paint is new and the backdoor he went through isn't even there. He would have seen Kaylen sitting by me, giving me hugs and smiles and comfort....Am I glad I went? Yes. Am I completely healed? No....I didn't realize how much I have grown personally until I sat back in that seat. I have changed physically (shoulder), mentally (PTSD), but my heart was renewed.

When I read Marcus's words, I was reminded of Inner Constellation Truth #3: Everything, no matter how challenging, has the ability to be transformed. Also, I was reminded of IC Truth #2: Energy never dies it just changes form--the brother of the man who lost his life instilled Marcus with courage. Even though the brother had died, his heroic act of saving members of his family from harm continued to have profound effect, not only in the testimony of lives spared but in the bolstering of yet another fellow victim.   

 My love of metaphor prompted me to look up the meaning of the word, "Aurora." Interestingly, it means--dawn, daybreak, morning, as well as the obvious--the beauty of the Northern Lights shining in night sky. The surrounding dark just highlights those bright and beautiful lights--Marcus, Kaylen, the brother, Matt McQuinn, and all the good people of Aurora even more. 

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment