Flipping the Switch from Pity to Power

Thursday, October 11, 2012
This weekend I had the honor to work a convention for APRIL, a grass roots association dedicated to independent living for rural people with disabilities. I started my weekend at the youth convention. I left there with much to ponder but probably the biggest take-away was the human desire to be accepted for who one is, including one's quirks and disabilities. The kids spoke honestly of their greatest difficulties. Surprisingly I never heard a physical complaint all weekend (although many of them were physically challenged), nor was their focus lack of adaptive equipment or accommodations. Their unified hardship was a great desire to be accepted by their communities and loved ones. While the seasoned older folks with disabilities seemed busy lobbying congress and changing laws at the state and local level, the kids were asking for something that monetarily costs nothing to give, acceptance--the very foundation for achieving equal access. APRIL youth are wise beyond their years!

The APRIL youth steering committee suggested that inclusion takes a change in attitude, not just from society but from those seeking acceptance. The APRIL conference focused on empowering youth to take action steps towards what they wanted, thus their motto, "Flipping the Switch from Pity to Power." I met a beautiful young woman who used her Cerebral Palsy as a platform to educate youth in her former Middle School and High School about the history of people with disabilities. Another young man with Asperger Syndrome spoke eloquently of the body as simply being an illusion and the essence of people being good and worthy of recognition. Simply put, APRIL youth blew me away! I was challenged to look at what I can do in my influence as a teacher, educator and therapist to encourage acceptance and tolerance. The weekend was fuel for my personal North Star--Establish compassion as the #1 condition. Compassion = love in action. Go APRIL youth!!!!

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment