"I've been through the desert on a horse with no name...."

Thursday, December 29, 2011
Perhaps it's the passage of the Christmas season, but I've spent much time this week thinking about the idea of embodiment. I was flipping through a magazine and found a picture of a beautiful Indian vase. It represented perfectly the metaphor of "vessel." You all might be familiar with the idea of the human body as a vessel for energy. My Inner Constellation practice is based on this belief and that we can control in every way what goes into our vessels. What do I allow to fill me today, who inspires me? I considered first my list of personal heroes, those who have most influenced my development: Joan of Arc, Edgar Cayce, Rumi, Black Madonna, Terese of Lisieux, the list goes on and on...and on and on. I thought of the inspiration that their existences have awarded me, how they continue to fill my vessel; however, as in any energy exchange, I wish to enhance their contributions and make them my own. One of the Inner Constellation ideals is: energy never dies, it only changes form. How do I embody my heroes, those who attained their North Stars?

Sometimes dream time provides the best answers. Within twenty-four hours of pondering the above questions, I dreamed of riding a horse. We traveled through a ravine between two mountains. It was a simple dream. Yet, I experienced, most viscerally, having traveled a great distance with ease. I woke with the understanding that personal heroes are like "horses," they aid me in the challenges of life and share in the distribution of the burden, but...I hold the reins. I'm the one in the saddle directing my life. I could of course, jump off, swat the horse on the rump and go it alone, but I suspect I wouldn't get as far and would tire easier. There's a line from Dewey Bunnell's song, "Horse With No Name," that might shed even more light:

"After nine days, I let the horse run free
cause the desert had turned to sea."

I believe one of the best ways to honor a life well-lived is not by holding the individual at a haloed arm's length, but to strike out and become the inspired. One of my favorite energy techniques that sustains me daily is to truly engage with my heroes--read their words, visit their lands (Google Images can help:), experience what they experienced, envision them in my space as I sit in stillness, journal, self-administer meridian therapy or move through my day.

Thanks for entertaining my ponderings. I love hearing from you and engaging in Inner Constellation conversation. It's my great joy. OK, off to bed with me. Remember, if a horse happens to visit you in dream-time, don't forget to ask its name. You might be surprised at the response!

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment