Magic

Friday, September 9, 2016
Here in the Sierras leaves are turning brilliant colors and the air has turned crisp with shadows creeping long in the softening light of fall. It's one of my favorite times of year and I find myself captivated by the seasonal process of degeneration in preparation for rest. Magic as a theme seems natural and was precipitated by an early morning run along the river by my home the first day of September. Temperatures were invigorating as I rounded a bend to nearly bump into a white crane. He stood perfectly still about 20 feet from me in the golden grass and didn't move, so I didn't either, and we just regarded one another for a few brief seconds before he took flight. My active mind began thinking of reasons why he hadn't been scared off--perhaps he was deaf, or blind, or both, or....perhaps I had run into a magical moment.

A few days later I read an article on an amazing millionaire who, along with his wife and teenage daughter, rescues refugees out of the sea. In August 2014 at the age of 33, Christopher Catrambone dedicated half his savings to establishing Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS). Red Cross recently partnered with him because he has one of the lowest casualty rates. A reporter had recently accompanied MOAS on a rescue of Tunisian refugees and witnessed the following:
"Back on the Phoenix, one girl, her trousers covered in vomit, collapsed as soon as she got on board. Mostly there was quiet relief as energy snacks, water bottles, blue towels, woollen socks and thin white, wind-blocking protective overalls were handed out. After a few minutes of stunned silence the small children, miraculously, began playing." 
After such a harrowing ordeal, the children began playing. Magic--our internal innate ability to turn toward life and survive and thrive. We have this same desire for others. I reflected this morning on the power of two North Stars--loving-kindness and compassion. Often when I introduce these to folks they'll ask, what's the difference? To me, loving-kindness is doing good for others simply to do good, uninitiated and perhaps this can be associated with friendliness or wishing well and doing our part to be kind to living beings in all circumstances. Compassion on the same hand :) is the capacity to recognize suffering and do what we can to alleviate that suffering, Mr. Christopher Catrambone and his family are prime examples of compassion in action. The incentive of loving-kindness and compassion seem to be the vision of a common good. When we practice loving-kindness and compassion we become forces that lift hearts and minds (ours included) to new heights. As enchanting September days set stage for glorious Fall, I look forward to magical moments with you. Send me your insights, I would love to hear them.

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment