Thich Nhat Hanh's 88th Birthday is Saturday--Join the Celebration!

Wednesday, October 8, 2014
This Saturday, October 11 is Thich Nhat Hanh's 88th Day of Continuation! He is one of my beloved teachers and when I received an email from the TNH Foundation about his birthday wish, I thought to share it with those of you who also love him so....

Here's what Thay says is the greatest gift we can offer him:

Of course we can buy a present from the market and we put a lot of love into it. But to tell you the truth, my hut in Upper Hamlet in not large enough to store all these kinds of presents. I would like to have a kind of present that I can enjoy every day and you also can enjoy every day – a present that can last for a long time, a present of the heart. I think that the best kind of present you may like to offer is a promise that you are sure you can honor, like: “Dear Thay, I promise that from now on, every time I hold a cup of tea, I will see the cloud in the tea and the cloud within myself.” That kind of present would be wonderful. Don’t make a big promise, like: “Dear Thay, I promise that from now on every step I make will be in mindfulness.” That may be a little bit too difficult! So, look deeply and make the kind of promise that you believe you can honor. Not too much, just one. And the maximum is two…I suggest only one promise…the kind of promise you are sure you will do. Just a little promise that will last all your life. That would be the most wonderful birthday present for Thay.

How precious is this request--are you going to do it? I am...So here's what you do...in honor of Thay’s 88th Continuation Day, you're invited to offer a present of the heart – send Thay your promise via Facebook, Twitter, or email this Saturday, OCTOBER 11th.You can share your promise via Facebook using the Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation Facebook page, via Twitter @TNHFound using the #HappyContinuation, or by email using the address: info@ThichNhatHanhFoundation.org

Let Thay know that you are committed to a mindful life and the practice is alive in you. Happy Continuation Day, Dear Thich Nhat Hanh!!!

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment