I’m Nobody! Who Are You?

Sunday, May 1, 2022

Oh, Loves...if you haven’t been to the library in awhile, please go! I ended up there not on my own accord but at the request of a contractor who needed my interpreting services for a client. So, to the library I went. Stepping into the cool, dark recesses felt like coming home. Libraries were my stomping ground as a kid, Leola library above the firehouse, one room packed to the gills with shelves of books which to me seemed an expansive paradise. 

So, this last trip, we were finishing up, and passed a kiosk with the famous picture of Emily Dickinson...


Her iconic outline was in neon orange with a black-penned famous one liner splashed across her picture. In my head, I thought, “I’ve always wanted to read her poems, I’ll have to some day when I have more time.” 

I said goodbye to my contractor and client, and on the way out gazed upon shelves of book sale items. First title to catch my eye ~ “I’m Nobody! Who Are You?” A slim orange book of poetry by, you guessed it, Dear Emily. I grinned like her mischievous best friend and reached for it, knowing it was going home with me. As I cracked open the pages to her 1855 brain, I was reminded of her incredible one liners that begin her poems and how she didn’t entitle her pieces, rather the first magical line of her creations usually served to prime the pump.  

Of course, there are no coincidences. Those who know me well, know—I pay huge attention to such gifts of the muse, spirit, ancestors, Creator, whatever the heck you want to call it. Miss Dickinson sits beside me as I write this article, and I am inspired: 

1) To have more time. After all...”I’ll have to (read her) some day when I have more time.”

Since finding, “I’m Nobody! Who Are You?” I’ve ended each day with a poem or two before closing my eyes to sleep. 

2) To dedicate the month of May IC Blessings* to her. Here’s my idea ~ entitle each May Blessing a mind-blowing Miss D one liner and then pen a line or two in my own hand to accompany. This could fail miserably, or be a giddy study. Either way, it sounds like fun to me, the library geek. So, um...here we go....


5/02 I’m Nobody! Who are you? 

Are you Shaggy, or rattling Scooby-Doo?
Brave Velma?
Daphne picking locks on a slant?
Hex Girls rocking-out,
or maybe...the unleashed 13 Ghosts?
Vincent Van Ghoul? Or dreary Mortifer Quinch? 
Either way, here is a deep truth ~
I’m nobody! And so are you!
And so is Shaggy, and Scooby-Doo....

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment