Who's Your Momma?

Friday, December 2, 2016
I went out cross country skiing yesterday, three days after the snow storm and melt/freeze temps. In other words, snow was rock hard. As I approached a hill that I had gone down effortlessly through the fluffy stuff a few days prior, a tiny voice in my head warned, "ummm...maybe ditch the skis." It was my Momma voice. So what did this kid do? Plugged her ears and pushed off! If it wouldn't be tagged as obscene, I'd post the picture of my bruised @$$ as a result of hucking myself down that path of suffering!

Sitting here typing this post is a sore reminder of my stubbornness (or pea-brain nature). It's no coincidence that the December Inner Constellation theme is, "peace," and... that I received this reminder in the mail (which I dug out of the mailbox after my cement collision:)



Whenever I begin a new monthly theme, I look up the word in the dictionary and let the synonyms stir my creative juices. One such equivalent to peace is non-violence. What does it mean to be non-violent to oneself? Revisiting the cross country skiing moment--nonviolence might mean heeding suffering's warning signs. Our bodies are supreme indicators of distress. Do we listen with compassion and wise attention or stifle our body's signals?

I love the analogy of a mother tending her crying baby. It's a rare momma who ignores the cries of her kid, instead she practices non-violence--going to the baby and doing her best to ease discomfort.

This morning I sit with these questions: What's the quality of my thoughts, is each one loving, peaceful and compassionate toward myself, my loved ones and my world? What are my actions? Are they skillful and kind? Am I 100% non-violent in my body, speech and mind? If I am, then I'm on the path of peace. December holiday season is the perfect training ground to ponder the above questions and deepen our practice of peace as we engage with our world and our loved ones this month. I look most forward to the insights and stories. Safe exploration, everyone!





0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment