Mind(fulness) Over Matter

Sunday, February 9, 2014
I just finished reading a book club pick entitled, Grace Eventually by Anne Lamott. Notice there's no link to it, as it doesn't come recommended. It wasn't completely without merit as the author is way witty and shares the downfalls of human nature with an honesty that is remarkable. Also, reading it enabled me to solidify my personal preference to fill up with reading that inspires and celebrates one's best nature versus telling funny stories about one's attempts but missing the mark.

In my personal walk, I find being consciously mindful of love, compassion and hope will increase these qualities in my life, and if I encourage these seeds they will grow. The opposite is also true, if I water the seeds of fear, failure, anger, impatience (even though I'm human, heck give me a break), then these seeds will grow and love, compassion and hope will be but flutters and afterthoughts. I know, I know, it takes great discipline, and yes, it does. But, as one of my dear friends always reminds, it's well worth it in when the seeds grow and you begin to feel the positive effects in the nervous system and the mind--peace, calm, clarity, gratitude, etc. Also, for me, mindfully making a decision to focus on higher ideals (North Stars) takes me out of my tiny circumstance; it's an antidote to being self-indulgent.

When my turn comes to pick the book for book club, I will be juxtaposing Anne Lamott with Malala Yousafazai, in her new book, I am Malala. This young woman spends a mere seven pages in the prologue describing the events of her shooting for those who are perhaps unaware and then shifts her focus entirely to the state of her country and the light of hope she and her family continually shine in the face of devastating circumstances, most notably the earthquake that struck Pakistan and the rise of the Taliban in her country and home region. Malala continually orients toward compassion, hope, love and courage and this after an attempt on her life. Reading such a book inclines me to become a better human being, to consciously and mindfully make a choice for only goodness, in spite of what the outer world reflects.

Thank you, both Anne Lamott and Malala Yousafazai, for clarifying that Mind(fulness) over matter is my commitment.

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment