Nothing Too Small, Too Insignificant

Monday, July 6, 2015
I'm sitting in my backyard garden watching the moon go down over the top of my fence and contemplating an insight experienced this morning. I woke early in anticipation of taking my stand up paddle board out on the Lake. Pristine and calm morning was forecasted with winds and possible thunderstorms building early afternoon. After a busy beginning to my summer, I was looking most forward to my first morning out; however, I could not find the straps that tie down the board for transport! I searched everywhere I knew to search but to no avail. By now, the morning heat was setting in(side me!). I walked to the garden shade and took a seat. I began practicing mindful breathing to regain myself and sure enough, insight surfaced....

Interestingly, as part of my earlier morning practice, I had just read the Diamond Sutra and in it, the Buddha discussed the idea of no-self--that nothing exists outside its dependency on other things, both living and non-living. It's easy perhaps to see our dependency on living things: food, water, our beautiful earth, but what of our dependency on non-living things. I was contemplating this idea moments before the search for the paddle board straps began. Some time later, when I finally gave up, sat still and breathed, a simple mantra came into my head, "No straps, no paddle board." The same can be said of Lake Tahoe, a healthy body, my car, a parking spot, hands which constructed by board....So much inter-dependency, This "self going paddle boarding" does not exist, it's pure illusion.

So, the moon, she mirrors a more spacious truth as I take a deep sigh and she sinks below my sight line. At this moment, I remember the lesson of no-self and the value and gratitude for all beings, both living and non-living.

0 comments/leave a comment:

Post a Comment