Consent...I've Got Your Back!

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Hello, Loves. Getaway café is a breakfast sanctuary for Lake Tahoe Mindfulness Community (LTMC). We go there every Wednesday after our time in community. One morning a few weeks ago during breakfast, it was mentioned that happiness in all its forms: peace, joy, love is available at any moment.  No matter what predicament we may find ourselves in, happiness is also always available. A single word came up to help us practice peace, joy and love in the midst of  a hard time. That single word became our August theme – – consent. 

I had the opportunity to practice consenting this week when I went to the doctors to get pins out of my hand (What!!!???). To my disappointment, the bone wasn't fused enough, and I was told we'd reassess in another two weeks. Two more weeks of no work, no writing, no tennis, no biking, a vacation change...blah, blah, sob. In the time it took for the doc to leave and the tech to come in to dress my hand, I stopped the blah, blah, breathed and consented. The most beautiful truth popped into my head, "at least I have a hand to break!" Was this Pollyanna thinking? Well, yes, but it was also realistic thinking because it's true! On the drive home (with my pinned hand), I noticed the most amazing giant sunflowers growing at the elementary school garden, and the sky was so robin-egg blue. Oh, and that night the stars shone entirely bright. Simple miracles await my engaged attention every day.  Stopping, consenting, breathing and goodness floods in. 

LTMC comrades are flowers, blue sky, bright stars in a clear night. I cannot tell you how many times I've sat in community and just consented, knowing each of us are committed to nourishing goodness. I trust our practice, our teachers, the teachings and can let go. There's a line in a chant that's one of my favorites, "teaching and living the way of awareness in the very midst of suffering and confusion...." This is LTMC's job description! 

Working with trauma survivors, I believe one indicator of resiliency is the ability to hold both suffering and happiness in equal attention. This skill isn't easy, it takes practice and conscious consent to dwell happily in the present moment no matter what comes our way, and...it's easier when comrades have got your back! Come soak in Summer Retreat Sunday, where you'll be surrounded by flowers, spacious sky and Tahoe's brightest stars. 

1 comments/leave a comment:

  1. Unknown said...:

    Hi Karla, What a nice testimony. Amen to your consent thoughts! Blessings to you, and continued healing!

    Chris Snidow

Post a Comment